Squeezing this post in on a Friday morning, just in case any francophiles accidentally stumble upon this post and suddenly decide to change their weekend plans.
Makati Shangri-la is currently holding a French festival “La vie en France” where everyone can experience French food, wine, art, and culture in every corner of the hotel. By the entrance, there’s an Eiffel Tower photo wall where you can fool people into thinking you’re in Paris… as long as you do your part and come in breton stripes and berets, of course.
Special activities await until July 2nd, including unlimited cheese and bread at the Lobby Lounge’s La Fromagerie, wine-tasting with award-winning Sommelier Patrick Tabhan at the Sage Bar, an exhibit by French abstract artist Pancho Francois Quillini, and Michelin-star Chef Yves Michoux’s famous eclairs, opera cakes, macarons, millefeuilles, and tarte tatins at the Lobby Lounge and Sinfully Circles.
I was part of the lucky few who were able to witness how Chef Yves Michoux makes his eclairs, and I must say this experience has inspired me heaps! Should I start experimenting with baking? I’ve been posting some of the stuff I’ve been cooking on IG stories, but I haven’t really tried baking anything since getting married. Baking gods, give me your power!
Recipe for Chef Yves Michoux’s Eclairs:
Pâte â Choux
Ingredients: 1 liter water, 500 grams butter, 30 grams sugar, 5 grams salt, 600 grams flour, 12 whole eggs
1. Add water, butter sugar, and salt in a saucepan, and bring to boil.
2. Mix in flour and stir (until dry).
3. Place in the mixer with paddle attachment in low speed until it cools down.
4. Add the eggs gradually.
5. Put the mixture in a piping bag, and pipe in a silpat mat or wax paper.
6. Bake at 160 Celsius for 15-20 minutes.
Ingredients: 1 liter milk, 2 pcs. vanilla pod, 10 pcs. egg yolk, 50 grams flour, 50 grams cornstarch
1. Warm the milk with vanilla pods.
2. In a bowl, mix together the egg yolk, flour, and cornstarch.
3. Pour the mixture into the milk at low heat.
4. Whisk until it thickens.
5. Place mixture in a bowl to cool it down.
For reservations at Makati Shangri-la, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (632)8142580.